Pages

Niger tanker blast destroys more than 50 shops


More than 50 shops were destroyed’ after a fuel tanker exploded in Lambatta in Niger's Gurara Local Government Area.

Niger tanker blast destroys more than 50 shops


The incident took place around 11 pm on Sunday.

It was learned’ that a tanker equipped with premium motor spirit exploded after colliding with a truck and then a fire broke out in nearby shops, vehicles and other properties.

Our representatives gathered when the truck fell down and immediately caught fire.

More than 50 shops and vehicles were set on fire before firefighters in Suleja responded to the blaze.

An official with the Federal Road Service Corps, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said drivers had lost control of the cause of the crash.

Our correspondent reported that the victims were counting their losses, while FRSC personnel were trying to control the traffic and fire service to prevent the fire from spreading to adjacent properties.

Julian Aluko, one of the affected traders, said he lost all his belongings in hell.

"I'm in a desperate state now because I've lost everything and I don't know how to cope with my six children without a husband. It's very unfortunate," Aluko, lamented. ۔

"I couldn't pick anything up from my shop. Not a single pin. I have six children and now I just don't know how to train them. My husband is late and from the shop, I take the children. I am training

Another victim, Friday Amaechi, whose four shops were completely burnt down’ lamented the loss and said the incident had left an indelible mark on her.

"My five shops I've worked on for years are gone and I feel like I've committed a sin against my destiny. I don't know where to go. I'm indebted to the people who put me on credit." Provide goods

Yusuf Wali, chairman of the Gurara Local Government Area, blamed the incident on the negligence of the tanker drivers, who also parked their vehicles indiscriminately on the side of the road.

Despite efforts to contain the ugly situation, the tanker drivers refused to follow his instructions, Willie said.

Ahmed Inga, director general of the Niger State Emergency Management Agency, confirmed the incident, saying: "We have assessed the level of damage and will report to the government.

"The governor has instructed us to look into the situation and that is what we did. There were no casualties, but two trucks, two motorcycles, 49 shops and four residential apartments with 16 rooms were set on fire," he said.

"It is unfortunate that this happened, but we are confident that the state government will come to the aid of the victims. In the meantime, I urge the victims to remain calm.


READ MORE 

China competes with US over Kenya military base claim

Post a Comment

0 Comments