Pages

Serena withdraws from French Open


Serena Williams withdrew from the French Open before her second round match against Tsvetana Pironkova due to Achilles injury.

Serena withdraws from French Open


The 23-time Grand Slam champion was due to meet Pironkova on Wednesday morning at Court Philippe-Chatter, but he was knocked’ out.

Williams was involved in the Achilles' handling of the tournament, which he maintained at the US Open, and he did well after winning the first round 7-6 (7-2) 6-0 against Christie's. Could not recover.

The 39-year-old rushed to the court for her warmth but soon realized she would not be able to compete.

"After I got hot - it was a very short warm-up - I talked to my coach and I was like, 'What do you think?’ They said.
"We both thought about it and we really realized that playing today was not the best thing for me.

"I like to play in Paris, I really wanted to try here. My Achilles didn't have time to recover properly. I'm struggling to walk so it's a kind of sign that I'm recovering. Should try. "

Williams, with his eyes set on a record equal to the 24th Grand Slam, said he did not think she would win enough matches in Paris.

Now, he is expected’ to have a rehabilitation time in about four to six weeks, starting with complete rest in at least two weeks.

"I'm definitely going to take it in the first two weeks of doing nothing and then I'll start training a little bit," he said.

"Mathematically, I don't know if I will be able to play in the second tournament this year.

"I'll take the first two weeks and then start from there ... it will give me plenty of time to fully recover in the future."


READ MORE 

Merkel praised the "impressive" nature of the protests in Belarus